• May 3Valkyries Spring Show
  • May 6Sports and Activities Information Night
  • May 7Board Meeting
  • May 10Last day to withdraw from a class with a “W” in second semester
  • May 11FUHSD Centennial Celebration
  • May 6-24AP testing

Softball keeps on swinging and lights up the field

Team photo of the 2023-24 softball team. Photo used with permission from Peggy Yao.

Under the bright afternoon sun, the first pitch slices through the air, setting the stage for a game that would showcase the unwavering passion the Lynbrook softball team has for the sport. The crowd cheers as players kick up dust with each crack of their bat, sending the ball flying. The ball lands, signaling to the players to start running their bases and complete an entire run.

As a senior, I’ve put so much time into the team, but haven’t seen the results I wanted to. Now, we have the chance to do something great, and it’s inspiring to see that so many people came out to help us succeed.”

— Sonali Goel, senior and co-captain

“During games, we start well,” senior and co-captain Sonali Goel said. “Once we get to the third inning, we lose our steam, which seems to be the biggest hurdle for our team as of now.”

Last year, the team persevered through challenges but were unfortunately unable to win any games. In a softball game, there are nine players on the field, each with a distinct role to fulfill. The main position in a game is the pitcher, who pitches the ball from the pitcher’s mound. The remaining players are positioned in the infield or outfield. Last year, the team was extremely low on players, with the entire team consisting of 11 people. Many of these players had started their softball careers in high school or had limited experience before joining the team. 

“Weather often makes it hard to practice,” senior Siri Ratnam said. “Lynbrook has a dirt field, meaning when it rains, it becomes nearly impossible to play. Many of our games and practices are canceled due to weather.”

Due to the reduced number of practices, softball players had fewer opportunities to improve themselves and work on their skills as a team. With many of the players being inexperienced, games were often “mercy-ruled,” a term used by athletes to describe when a game has ended because one competitor had a large scoring lead over the other. 

Players took it as an experience to learn from and catalyze growth. They implemented new approaches to their practice, like focusing more on outfield and catching “fly balls” — balls that reach the outfield — whereas last year they focused more on hitting and infield balls. With this new practice routine under coaches Jerome Holloway and Colleen Fleming, players have shown remarkable improvement, allowing them to win four out of the ten games they’ve played. 

This year, the coaches have implemented many changes to help players reach their full potential, using them in day-to-day practices to create a solid foundation for the skills of the players. Practice starts with warming up, followed by drills for fielding and batting. Pitchers and catchers then branch off into their specific practices. Near the end of training, players come together to scrimmage. Returning players are first-hand witnesses to the ongoing improvement of the team, observing new players develop into stronger and more skilled athletes. Moreover, they play crucial roles in building up the talent and potential of their newer teammates.

Players were most excited for their win against the San Jose High School softball team. Last year, they suffered an immense loss of 29-11. This year, going into the match, many players expected to suffer the same fate. The team pulled through, starting off the first inning with nine runs, continuing on their streak to take home the win. Before they went up to bat, the coaches assisted players by guiding how to improve their batting skills and increase their chances of success. 

The team has shown tremendous growth over the course of a year, and many upperclassmen are excited to see the team bring in more people with the same love and enthusiasm for the sport. 

“As a senior, I’ve put so much time into the team, but haven’t seen the results I wanted to,” Goel said. “Now, we have the chance to do something great, and it’s inspiring to see that so many people came out to help us succeed.”