Current Events
  • May 3Valkyries Spring Show
  • May 6Sports and Activities Information Night
  • May 7Board Meeting
  • May 10Last day to withdraw from a class with a “W” in second semester
  • May 11FUHSD Centennial Celebration
  • May 6-24AP testing

the Epic

the Epic

the Epic

TRENDING STORIES
Archives
Support student journalism and subscribe to the Epic's print publication here.

LEXE grants $1.4 million to Lynbrook programs

Chelsea Lee and Yvonne Wu

Funding more than 200 projects and assisting more than 4,000 students since its creation in 2012, Lynbrook Excellence in Education is an Internal Revenue Service-approved, 501(c)(3) public charity that supports 14 departments at Lynbrook with resources and grants for crucial learning tools such as STEM equipment, updated technology and infrastructure projects.  

LEXE was created 11 years ago by teachers and school staff as a way to increase the excellence of education at Lynbrook. As of September, LEXE has granted roughly $300,000, reaching 55% of their funding goals. More than 25% of the funds came from parent contributions. LEXE’s main objective is to provide equipment to departments, expand technology and infrastructure, support extracurricular programs and provide resources for professional development for teachers.

“We are a part of a very generous school district where we get a lot of resources,” LEXE Co-President Parthasarathy Ranganathan said. “However, we want to go above and beyond  what the district provides. We want to move faster.” 

Ten years ago, none of the schools in the FUHSD district had an established system to provide technology for students. Through LEXE, Lynbrook became the first school to adopt a system where each student had access to their own technology. Over the years, LEXE has provided more than 2,000 chromebooks, iPads, licenses for network monitoring and wireless access points to Lynbrook’s student body.

To obtain funds for specific classes, teachers or school staff file grants to LEXE, making a proposition to their department lead, which is then sent to Principal Maria Jackson. After Jackson reviews the grant and sends it to LEXE, LEXE votes on its approval in their monthly board meeting. Approval criteria include whether the grants affect a large number of students and enable the enhancement of a specific curriculum. 

LEXE invests about 62% of their funds in classroom equipment, which is used to improve STEM programs at Lynbrook. This equipment includes research work-stations and lab tools such as micropipettes, dissecting microscopes, 3D printers and electronic balances. LEXE’s support has greatly improved the life science curriculum and offered a more hands-on lab experience. 

Lynbrook’s art department has also had support from LEXE for many years in purchasing washing machines, sewing machines, wax machines and more. Art teacher Charlotte Kruk believes that, because of this, Lynbrook students have access to unparalleled art opportunities, in unique units such as the lost art of wax casting. In addition to providing new resources, LEXE also helps maintain existing projects. For instance, the torch stations in the art classrooms were previously shut down by the fire department due to proper steel surfaces not being installed under the torches. LEXE’s funding for this renovation allowed the art department to keep this equipment and continue learning with it. 

“LEXE has made Lynbrook the most creative of all the schools in the district because of their generosity,” Kruk said. 

In the future, LEXE plans to create a research program for students to conduct research in any academic field they are interested in. They also hope to create a Hall of Fame of alumni so students can connect with alumni to ask questions about jobs and internships.

“We are interested in hearing from students and having them let us know what we can do for them,” Ranganathan said.