• May 3Valkyries Spring Show
  • May 6Sports and Activities Information Night
  • May 7Board Meeting
  • May 10Last day to withdraw from a class with a “W” in second semester
  • May 11FUHSD Centennial Celebration
  • May 6-24AP testing

Is for all the dogs really for ALL the dogs?

Drake%E2%80%99s+new+album%2C+%E2%80%9CFor+All+the+Dogs%2C%E2%80%9D+which+featured+many+artists%2C+was+released+on+Oct.+6%2C+receiving+mixed+reviews+from+fans+as+they+assessed+its+unique%2C+and+sometimes+questionable+choices.+
Deeksha Raj and Qianzi Loo
Drake’s new album, “For All the Dogs,” which featured many artists, was released on Oct. 6, receiving mixed reviews from fans as they assessed its unique, and sometimes questionable choices.

When Drake’s new album, “For All the Dogs” was released on Oct. 6, fans were thrilled, after waiting an extra two weeks for the new music due to delays in the release. Featuring J Cole, Yeat, 21 Savage, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Sza, Bad Bunny, Lil Yachty, Sexxy Red, Chief Keef and Teezo Touchdown, \ musically diverse album has its moments, but can be a drag at times. 

The album continued to exhibit Drake’s distinctive style of unique lyrics and experimental beats. Whether it be his unforgettable line “21, can you do something for me,” or his timeless “She say do you love me, I tell her only partly, I only love my bed and my momma I’m sorry,” Drake never fails to add sass to his songs, keeping listeners engaged by creating unpredictable works. 

In his recent album, however, certain songs like “Virginia Beach” and “Slime You Out” felt never-ending and repetitive. Even with a historic lineup of iconic features, the supporting artists were improperly utilized, making it difficult to fully appreciate them. While many enjoyed the SZA verse on “Rich Baby Daddy,” the beat muffles her voice and limits her potential to shine through. Lil Yachty’s lyrics in “Another Late Night” are questionable as well, calling Billie Eilish out with the line, “She had big t*ts like Billie Eilish, but she couldn’t sing.” Despite Eilish having acknowledged the lyrics, neither Drake or Eilish have publicly commented about them, and fans have expressed their disappointment and disapproval of the objectification of the young female artist. In the past, Eilish has spoken out about her dislike toward people commenting on her body or the way she dresses, posting on her Instagram and highlighting the issue during interviews. 

When listening to the album as a whole, the contrast of the transitions between songs is apparent and keeps the songs versatile. Some songs fade into the voice of a radio jockey who introduces the upcoming song, while others let the music evolve from one piece to the next, reflecting the mixed emotions of both songs. 

Toward the end of the album, specific words became recurring motifs with their frequent appearances. Though repetitive, they emphasized the overarching theme of the album on learning to appreciate the phases of one’s life as they contribute to personal growth and interpersonal connections, whether through triumph or struggle. Only by putting forth both his highs and lows was Drake able to compile an album that he believed would truly resonate with everyone and be “for all the dogs.” 

The best song on the album was “Bahamas Promises.” While other songs had catchier lyrics and more danceable beats, “Bahamas Promises” caught Drake “in his feels,” — dejected, but looking back on his old relationship, hoping to learn from the broken promises and how draining an unhealthy relationship can be. The energy spent fending away a toxic significant other takes away from other friendships and can lead people down a negative mindset. The lyrics present the topic of dealing with an unfaithful partner, a commonly discussed topic in songs, yet Drake’s song portrays a mocking undertone, rather than the regretful and despairing approach many artists take. “Bahamas Promises,” instead, conveys the absurdity of staying with someone who lacks loyalty. The slower beat gives the listener a moment to breathe in the midst of the intense album and makes the song easily memorable as the words are clearly articulated. 

“Members Only,” Drake’s collaboration with PARTYNEXTDOOR, was the worst song on the album, lacking both meaningful lyrics and rhythmic beats. For instance, the line “feel like I’m bi cause you’re one of the guys, girl” was unnecessary, serving as a nonsensical lyric to gain negative attention online, with people critiquing it for being cringey and an indicator of Drake’s dwindling creativities. Through this collaboration, the beat was heavily influenced by PARTYNEXTDOOR while the lyrics stayed true to Drake, yet the two styles failed to blend together well for a cohesive song. Their partnership had potential to create something timeless, but missed the mark and produced an unremarkably forgettable song. 

Despite all this, the album as a whole is definitely worth a listen. The songs’ divergent moods ensure that there is a song for everyone within the album, and although certain songs in “For All the Dogs” are skippable, there are iconic moments that leave listeners in awe if the album is given a chance. 

Overall Rating: 7/10

Ranking  (best to worst): 

Bahamas Promises

Gently

Away From Home

IDGAF

Tried Our Best

Rich Baby Daddy

Drew a Picasso

Screw the World (Interlude)

8am in Charlotte

What Would Pluto Do

All the Parties

First Person Shooter

BBL Love (Interlude)

7969 Santa

Daylight

Virginia Beach

Slime You Out

Polar Opposite

Amen

Fear of Heights

Another Late Night

Calling For You

Members Only