The Epic

Future collegiate athletes celebrate commitments to colleges

Meet five Lynbrook seniors who will be continuing their athletic careers at the collegiate level: Andrew Shao, Angela Liu, Amy Steinmetz, Juney Lee and Nathan Lee. Shao and Liu, track and field athletes, will be attending MIT and Scripps College, respectively; Steinmetz has a place on the UC Irvine volleyball team; Juney Lee will be playing for the University of Rochester’s field hockey team; and Nathan Lee will be swimming for UC San Diego’s team. Lynbrook’s first athlete signing celebrated these seniors’ achievements and commitment to both academics and their sport: each athlete has played at the varsity level for three to four years and maintained a 3.7 to 4.0 GPA.

“I wanted to make it special for them because it is a special occasion,” said athletic director Jennifer Griffin. “Ms. Chan and myself are working on changing the athletic culture in Lynbrook to mean more. Lynbrook is so academic, but I want us to be able to celebrate the athletic side and the academic side together and have them be more even.” Check the Epic’s Facebook page for a livestream of the signing event.

About the Contributors
Nicole Ong, Opinion Editor

As a Singaporean-American teenager passionate about politics, American History, and social justice, Nicole aims to reflect these passions in her writing....

Srinidhi Seshadri, Web Editor

Srinidhi is a rising senior and the Web Editor this year. Through her time on the Epic she's come to love all aspects of journalism (especially video-journalism)....

Patricia Wei, Web Director

Patricia is a senior and a web director for the Epic. To her, journalism is a way of seeing the world with curiosity and compassion. She believes that...