Andrew Seike nominated for All-Star Teacher Award

Chelsea Li, Content Editor

English teacher Andrew Seike finishes reading a few paragraphs from the book his class is studying. He then poses a question, and after a few moments, hands shoot up around the room. Throughout the year, he also provides insight into his life through his many stories, making his class interesting and fun. It is no surprise that he is widely praised by both students and staff; however, this year, his talents have been recognized beyond Lynbrook.

Each year, popular television station Comcast SportsNet (CSN), along with Provident Credit Union, recognizes outstanding middle and high school teachers in Northern and Central California through the All-Star Teacher Award. Students had the opportunity up until Feb. 1 to describe their favorite teachers through an online or paper form. This year, Seike was nominated for the award and selected as one of five finalists.

Junior Raksha Narasimhan, who is currently one of Seike’s AP Language and Composition (APLAC) students, nominated Seike through the online form. One of the biggest reasons Narasimhan nominated Seike was because of his unique personality.

“He has a really great sense of humor and makes us feel like everything we do helps our skill set,” said Narasimhan. “He genuinely cares about every single student, and not just their grades.”

Seike’s teaching style is yet another reason his class is a favorite among students. Both his freshman Literature/Writing and junior APLAC classes are discussion driven, and he incorporates lessons about life along with the material the students are studying.

“He uses his personal experiences to relate to the students and to the topics he’s teaching,” said freshman Aneesha Nema, who has Seike for freshman literature this year. “He really connects with the students instead of just teaching the material.”

Aside from his engaging lessons, Seike’s humble and down-to-earth personality is also an admirable trait.

“He always puts us first,” said junior Jessica Peng, who currently takes Seike’s APLAC class. “If any students have personal problems or just need to tell him about something, he always lets us go to his class and he’ll spend a whole lunch just talking to us.”

Seike credits his popularity at Lynbrook to his background and teachers he has had in the past. He is extremely passionate about teaching and enjoys forging meaningful relationships with students.

“I teach from the heart. I try to put myself in a student’s perspective. I know that there’s a job to do, but at the same time I like to lace [my lessons] with humor and keep it as real as possible.”

— English teacher Andrew Seike

On March 22, CSN visited Seike’s fourth period APLAC class to film footage for a promotional video that would be posted on their website when voting began. The crew also interviewed Seike, as well as students and teachers that day.

Voting for the All-Star Teacher Award began on April 10 and will continue through June 1. Videos containing information about each finalist have been posted on CSN’s website. The most winner will be recognized at a Giants game and will receive $20,000 for his or her school. Although he has been named as one of five finalists out of numerous teachers in the area, Seike remains humble and continues to not only teach, but inspire students and teachers alike each day.

“He’s a very bright man, yet he’s the least arrogant person I’ve ever met,” said English teacher Robert Richmond. “I’m very proud to be a teacher because Mr. Seike is a teacher. I think that he’s an inspiration, even to someone like me who has more experience and is older. I think there are many of us who can learn from him.”

Aside from teaching English literature, Seike is also the adviser and instructor for Lynbrook’s Aikido Club. Whether he is in or outside the classroom, Seike believes teaching is a rewarding experience because of his students.

“[One of the greatest things about teaching is] seeing that ‘aha’ moment in a student’s eyes when I can show them something great about literature and they understand it,” said Seike. “To connect with students, to make a difference, to show that I can be there for them when no one else would be, makes me happy.”