In memory of Judy Boehm, former ASB Financial Technician

Photo used with permission from Scott Boehm. Graphic illustration by Chelsea Lee

A beacon of light for the Lynbrook community, family and friends, Boehm is remembered for her unwavering support and kindness for Lynbrook students during her tenure.

Surya Saraf and Katie Chin

“There are not enough adjectives and superlatives in the dictionary to describe her,” said Paul Boehm, in memory of his wife, former ASB Financial Technician Judy Boehm. “She dedicated her life to serving other people.” 

A beacon of light for the Lynbrook community, family and friends, Boehm is remembered for her unwavering support and kindness for Lynbrook students during her tenure. Due to medical complications, she passed away on April 18, having retired from her job as the ASB Financial Technician in February 2022.

Since she began her Lynbrook career in 2001, Boehm was responsible for organizing finances for clubs and sporting events. This encompassed club reimbursements, school events and reviewing receipts and all club funds. Her remarkable dedication to her role and compassion fostered positivity that defines much of Lynbrook’s supportive, nurturing environment today. 

“She really added to the culture and levity of being in ASB,” former ASB Treasurer Pranay Mamileti said. “She was super kind and understanding when it was my first time on the job; she was really funny and just a really incredible person.”

Principal Maria Jackson cherishes her time spent with Boehm, including lunch periods together in the old office building.

“We would spend so much time laughing about something we saw on TV, or funny things that happened to us — she had the best laugh,” Jackson said. 

Boehm’s children, Noelle, Scott and Kevin Boehm, attended Lynbrook in the 80s and 90s, while she served as the head of the PTA. Scott Boehm reflects on his mother’s passion for serving the Lynbrook community, and supporting her children no matter what.

“She let us live, adventure, make mistakes and learn from them,” Scott Boehm said. “She was always there as a loving, guiding hand.”

An avid sports fan, Boehm frequently supported her sons — who both played as quarterbacks for the Lynbrook football team — and sported their football jerseys in the stands. She would often invite her sons’ teammates to her house to give them haircuts and etch inspirational messages in their hair before the evening’s game. 

Boehm was often considered a second mother to her children’s friends and community of neighbors. A welcoming figure in her “neighborhood family crew,” a tight-knit group of neighborhood friends and family who often vacationed together, Boehm is warmly remembered for her limitless compassion and strength through obstacles she faced throughout her life.

Whenever faced with challenges or uncertainty, I often find solace in thinking, ‘What would Mrs. Boehm do in this situation?’”said Jennifer Grossman Sills, Boehm’s friend of 35 years. “Her ability to roll with the punches and find strength and resilience even in the face of adversity inspired me and many others fortunate enough to know her.”

Before joining the Lynbrook staff, Boehm was a social worker and served in the American Red Cross, helping wounded soldiers and veterans in Air Force and army hospitals. Following the 1964 Alaskan earthquake, Boehm provided relief support for injured Alaskan citizens, and made national headlines for her continued dedication to her service after a tornado destroyed her home at the Air Force Base in Texas. Soon after, she went on to work in a mental health hospital in North Dakota and volunteered for a suicide hotline.

“Her life was about just giving herself to others, and never complaining,” Paul Boehm said. “It was just remarkable — the love she gave, not only for her children and myself, but for others.”

Boehm wasn’t just a financial adviser: her past work in mental health services — both in children’s guidance and suicide prevention — helped many Lynbrook students overcome their own mental issues.

“In addition to her job responsibilities, she always took invaluable time for students struggling with personal dilemmas,” Paul Boehm said. “She was always there to offer a soft shoulder and give heartfelt support to many students in need.”

In her free time, Boehm loved to go for drives along the California coast with her husband and always stopped for a cup of coffee at Whale City Bakery, a small roadside café in Davenport. In Half Moon Bay, she would watch airplanes land at the local airport overlooking the sea.

Boehm’s memorial service will be held at Rainbow Park on June 4.