Intramural sports promote more inclusivity

Sarah Zhang, Staffer

From the baseball field to the swimming pool, Lynbrook fosters determined and passionate sports teams. However, students who may not have the time or expertise to join these teams are left without many options. Intramural sports are a fitting solution to those who wish to try a new sport or to participate in sports on a regular basis in a less rigorous environment.

Intramural sports entail recreational sports events between students of the same school. They typically involve official rules, rosters and referees, similar to competitive sports, but can be simplified to fit a high school setting by mimicking voluntary sports clubs.

“I’m not great at sports, but recreational athletics would be an enjoyable opportunity to meet new people and develop more teamwork skills,” junior Sophie Liu said. 

Lynbrook already has the facilities necessary for several sports, including table tennis and basketball. Many of these sports are already popular, proven by the number of students who play Spikeball on the quad and basketball courts on a daily basis. 

“Playing Spikeball introduced me to many new friends,” senior Jenner Lim said. “I do want to organize more games with underclassmen rather than being limited to one group.”

Furthermore, the benchmarks that authorize athletes to compete on school teams are laxed in the case of intramural sports, allowing a larger demographic to participate in sports, regardless of athletic ability. Thus, students have the opportunity to improve their skills in an easygoing environment. 

Daily exercise has undeniable benefits toward physical and mental health. According to the CDC, a session of physical exercise can improve sleep, enhance cognitive function and reduce stress.

Several clubs, past and present, have organized casual sports competitions. The martial arts club, for example, occasionally holds martial arts matches, as does the breakdance club. Before the Athletes Unlimited club was disbanded, they worked to design three-on-three basketball tournaments based on March Madness.

Some claim that facilitating intramural sports programs become complex when taking into account interest, access to equipment and supervision. However, intramural sports can be easily revised to fit the situation. Students can don pinnies instead of team uniforms and games can occur during lunch instead of late into the evening. During sports seasons, these events can occur outside to avoid conflict with practices.

Intramural sports foster inclusivity for students with diverse interests and are a great way to be part of an encouraging community.

“Kids do have a desire to workout and be competitive,” assistant principal and athletics A.P. Eric Wong said. “Intramurals could be a unique way to bring together Lynbrook students, but will take dedicated student and staff leaders to organize.”