Marching band awards night

Daeun Chung, Web Editor

After winning the first place in four-A division with caption awards of High Music and High Visual and getting fourth place in the Sierra Cup Classic, Viking Marching Band and Color Guard concluded their three-month season on Wednesday, Nov. 9th, at Award Night. The cafeteria was decorated with colorful tents and lighting trees used in their show, The Summit. The wall was covered with caption awards awarded by section leaders to their section members and vice versa with unique titles ranging from “Fastest Boba Runtime” to “Turf Taster”. 

“I love just hearing all of the funny awards that they have for each other,” woodwind instructor Katie Gilchrist said. “Walking in and seeing all of the awards around the room just made me laugh because I love to see all the community that they have.”

The moment of encouragement and heartwarming congratulation continued as the band recognized and appreciated the visual and music instructors as well as leadership and seniors, examining the tight knit bonds and community they formed with each other throughout their season. 

The instructor-voted awards were also presented by band director Michael Pakaluk at the event. Senior Jacob Chung received the award of best section leader whereas the flute and the low brass sections won the best section visual and best section music respectively. Medals and budgets were also given to every marcher and color guard, from the first-year marcher and color guard to seniors who marched and performed for their entire high school years. 

“There’s not a lot of places in terms of school where 130 people can come together to fight for a united goal,” senior head drum major Rishab Sakalkale said. “That itself is so special, but also we have such a tight community, and that’s what draws everybody to come back every year.”