Student views on the schedule change

Ashley Huang, Sports Editor

Senate Bill 328, signed by Governor Gavin Newsom in 2019, which prohibits California public high schools and middle schools from starting school earlier than 8:30 a.m, has led to the implementation of a new bell schedule for the 2022-23 school year. In response, many sports practices and  extracurricular activities have been forced to adapt, altering many students’ and families’ routines. Here are some student opinions on the new bell schedule.

Crystal Zhu, Freshman

“I find Friday advisories annoying, since it makes it hard to finish all of my work. I have dance class on Friday, so I try to complete my homework at school so that I can relax after dance class. Nevertheless, I do like the longer passing periods, since we don’t have to rush to our next class.”

Jayadev Ghanta, Sophomore

“The shift of all periods from Wednesday to Monday was something I disliked, since all the work from my periods is due at the beginning of the week, which is a very bad way to start off your week.”

Natalie Yang, Junior

“I participate in both girls and co-ed dance for homecoming, where most practices are over the weekend since we no longer have late start days. This means I have even less time to do homework over the weekends. A good thing about all periods shifted to Monday is that teachers sometimes give a little preview of the week to help you prepare.”

Aarthi Gopalakrishnan, Senior

“One thing I am grateful for this year is that we don’t have to come to school at 8 a.m. anymore. However, with Monday’s tutorials being a closed tutorial and Friday’s tutorials now sometimes used for advisory, it leaves the Ravens, my K-pop dance group, with only one day a week to practice, which is hard to manage.”