Remembering memorials of Lynbrook’s past

Arul Gnanasivam, Photo Editor

This school year has been highlighted by changes around campus. With change, it becomes important to not forget the ones before us who built up our school to where it is today. Out of many such individuals, four have been recognized with memorials for their efforts in helping Lynbrook’s vision and community.

Blayne F. Jones

Located between the science wing and math wing. Text on memorial: “Blayne F. Jones – 1937 – 1992 – Coach, Teacher, and Friend. Dedicated by Lynbrook’s High School’s Class of 1993”

Blayne F. Jones was a math teacher and football coach since the founding of the school. Jones was a “gentle giant,” and was well liked around campus, and a memorial was dedicated upon his retirement.

Marie San Antonio

Located near the basketball hoops. Text on memorial: “Her strength, spirit, and compassion reached all of us at Lynbrook for over 34 years. ‘Live, Love, and Laugh”

Marie San Antonio was an attendance secretary at Lynbrook for almost 34 years. Antonio began her role at Lynbrook during the time Lynbrook was founded, and was a big personality on campus. She knew most of the staff around campus, and her lengthy service to Lynbrook created her a memorial when she retired from the staff.

Sandi Stober

Located on Stober Field. Text on memorial: “Stober Field” – dedicated to the memory of Sandi Stober, 1946 – 2001. An exceptional teacher, coach, and friend to the Lynbrook community. “Sandi’s smile will grace this field with hockey love.”

Sandi Stober was a successful field hockey coach and P.E. teacher who built up Lynbrook’s field hockey program to where it is today. Her passion and energy for coaching led to team to great success, and she coined the phrase, “Rah Hockey!” Stober Field is named in her memory.

Anita M. Olsen

Located between the history wing and the field house. “Tree of Life – is evergreen was planted in memory of Anita M. Olsen – 1956 – 1973. Students of Lynbrook High School”

Anita M. Olsen was a student at Lynbrook High School, and was also a part of the cheerleading team. She tragically died in a car crash during an exchange program in Brazil. Lynbrook students recognized her by planting a tree, titled the “Tree of Life,” in her honor.

Kevin W. Lam

The tree planted in memory of Lam is located near the wrestling room and boys’ locker room.

Kevin W. Lam was part of Lynbrook’s Class of 2008 and took part in wrestling and marching band. He passed away unexpectedly during a wrestling practice his freshman year. In honor of Lam, a tree was planted near the wrestling room.

*Note that this information is based on recollections and may not be entirely factual.