How to avoid becoming a finals zombie

Medha Upadhyay, Features Editor

Around this time of year, you can surely feel the impending apocalypse of second-semester finals. Studying for stressful exams can leave you feeling exhausted, and being tired can make you feel grumpy, frustrated and unproductive. This is a vicious cycle, but there are some simple things that can be done to give you a natural boost of energy during this especially taxing time. This finals season, follow these easy steps to avoid becoming a finals zombie!

1. Collect bodily fluids:

Healthy humans should be drinking at least two liters of water every day, which is about 67 ounces. Anything less than this, and you are stepping into zombie territory. Dehydration is a major cause of daytime exhaustion, and drinking more water can lead to better productivity. A simple way to keep track of your water intake is to drink from a measured water bottle. Check how many ounces your bottle is, and refill accordingly to make sure you meet your minimum daily intake.

1. Chase zombies:

When you are tired and pressed for time, it can be easy to skip exercise. Low-intensity exercise, however, can help people suffering from fatigue or displaying other zombie symptoms. Something as simple as 10 to 15 minutes of walking can leave you feeling more energized by increasing the blood flow throughout your body and carrying oxygen to your muscles and brain. The next time you feel like you are not able to get anything done, leave your desk for a few minutes of light exercise. For bonus points, step outside to get a breath of fresh non-infested air and a change in scenery. As long as you avoid any freshly-turned graves, you should be fine.

1. Play dead:

Short naps are proven to improve cognitive functions, so a 20-minute nap can help your brain function more efficiently. You’ll feel more energized and focused, your mind will be fresh and your concentration will heighten. Beware though, as sleeping for more than 30 minutes will leave you feeling groggy — the more you sleep, the closer you come to becoming a reanimated corpse. Be sure to set an alarm before you sleep, and refrain from hitting snooze!

1. Level up

When you are stressed, your body triggers a hormone called cortisol, which burns through large chunks of your energy. Meditation, on the other hand, limits cortisol levels and will help clear your mind and make you more efficient. Meditating is not difficult; in fact, it can be done in just a few minutes of spare time. All you have to do is sit up tall, relax your muscles, close your eyes and try out simple breathing techniques. One popular exercise is to breathe in through one nostril, hold your breath and exhale through the other nostril. Whichever exercise you choose, however, the main objective is to focus on your breathing in order to clear the mind. Although sitting around with your eyes closed may leave you at risk for a zombie attack, you really must try to empty your mind of all thoughts in order to reap the benefits of meditation. You will be all the more alert once you are done!