Melissa Chen: Life listens

March 9, 2021

Graphic Illustration by Melissa Chen

From “Try Everything” to “Moments,” these are a few songs that have stayed with me throughout my life. 

Songs come and go, especially in this era of streaming, in which the ordinary listener can access a great quantity and variety of music easily. Once in a while, though, a song will stick, as a personal significance attaches to it, the two becoming so intertwined that they are impossible to separate. Maybe the song is the heart of a treasured memory we like to revisit, maybe the lyrics resonated deeply with us during a period of our lives or maybe a particular quality of the song is unforgettable. From “Try Everything” to “Moments,” these are a few songs that have stayed with me for all the above reasons. 

“Moments” by Hollow Coves

This is one of my favorite songs and one I have been listening to a lot throughout quarantine. It is a good reminder during any time — whether it is a busy, chaotic day or when I am mindlessly surfing the Internet or binging a show — to do something meaningful and take a moment to soak in the present and tune into my surroundings. The lyrics are soothing and sung mostly in a soft and relaxed but full voice — definitely a good song to keep me grounded. 

“Over the Rainbow” rendition by Israel Kamikawiwo’ole

This song and “You are My Sunshine” are two songs I remember listening to frequently when I was little. My parents have always liked slow-tempo, emotional ballads, which I grew up hearing around the house. Although this song sounds more intimate, I think it is emotionally powerful. It is a great dose of positivity for the day, and I love the simple but stylistic, breathy vocals. Especially in this sweet and lively rendition, the song brims with pure joy and optimism, a wonderful feeling that I associate with being carefree as a child and enjoying this song with my family. 

“Try Everything” from the movie “Zootopia” and sung by Shakira

Well, this would not be an accurate life playlist without a song from a Disney movie. A few years ago, my brother and I decided to buy the movie “Zootopia” while browsing Target during holiday break. Somehow, it is now the movie that we make sure to watch at least once a year, competing to see who can remember the most details about the plotline. “Try Everything” is the main song in the movie, and, although the lyrics are a little cheesy, the song, like the movie, is still inspiring and uplifting. Its main message applies to all ages: to be undaunted by and get up from failure, and to always keep trying. 

It is nice to use the songs I listen to to evaluate how I have grown over the years. Compared to my younger self, I now listen to songs with a greater mix of styles and messages. There are a lot of life experiences I am yet to have, and I look forward to discovering and connecting with many more new songs in the future. Thanks for listening!

About the Contributor
Photo of Melissa Chen
Melissa Chen, Writer

Melissa can't wait to continue writing for the Epic this year, though she's a little sad that, as a senior, this will be her last year. Soggy cereal, hot...