Tania Yang and Shveta Bagade join Guidance Department

August 23, 2022

Photos by Jason Shan and Meera Nambiar

Shveta Bagade and Tania Yang are excited to start the school year as part of the guidance team.

Lynbrook’s Guidance Department welcomed two new staff members for the 2022-23 school year: former special education teacher Tania Yang joins Malissa Goldstein, Nikki Dang and Shana Howden as a fourth guidance counselor, and newcomer Shveta Bagade joins Kathy Tang as a college and career adviser.

Tania Yang

Meera Nambiar and Jason Shan

Lynbrook’s guidance team expands with new counselor Tania Yang.

Having worked at Lynbrook for over 13 years, Tania Yang is a familiar face to students. She is excited to bring her previous work experience as a social worker and behaviorist to the guidance team. 

Yang was born in Portland, Oregon but grew up in South San Jose. In Leland High School, Yang was a part of the track team and enjoyed being a part of ASB. After graduating high school, she studied Human Development and Education at UC Davis. 

Her venture into the world as a social worker allowed her to work with children and teenagers of diverse backgrounds. She organized adoption programs for children in Russia and nurtured teens in cottages in the U.S., who otherwise didn’t have access to housing. 

“Hearing the stories of things that kids have gone through and how they still wake up each morning to continue with their day led me to be a social worker,” Yang said.

She later continued social work at Santa Teresa High School for at-risk teens, then became a behaviorist at Lynbrook. Before moving into counseling, she was a part of the Academic Communications program at Lynbrook for 12 years, a program that benefits students with social cognitive needs. Additionally, she has been the National Honor Society adviser for 10 years. During the 2020-21 remote school year, Yang began reaching a larger portion of the student population through her work as a part-time counselor. 

As the fourth addition to the guidance counselors, Yang’s job also entails periodic events such as Coffee with the Counselors, meetings with each grade level and writing recommendation letters for seniors. On a daily basis, Yang ensures that seniors are on track to graduate, supports students with managing stress and prepares students for post-graduation career research. 

“I’ve learned that the three counselors that we have are total experts in what they do,” Yang said. “They each have their own wealth of knowledge and experience.”

Yang also hopes to support students in achieving their academic goals. By working with more kids in a different capacity, she hopes to support a larger portion of the student population. 

“My goals are to give students some perspectives, resources and ways to be supported, as well as encourage self-advocacy,”  Yang said. “That is a really big thing I learned: We’re not here to do things for students, but instead, show students how to advocate and have the experience and hopefully fulfillment of doing things for themselves.”

Going into the new school year, Yang hopes that she can foster a welcoming environment in her office. Whether it be small or large hardships, she wants students to be comfortable with coming to her with any problems they may have.

“As I look at it, being a teenager is a very small window of life,” Yang said. “So I want to help students enjoy this period of time and hopefully not be so consumed with one thing or another.”

Hover on this interactive graphic to learn more about Ms. Yang. Graphic illustration by Meera Nambiar.

Shveta Bagade

Meera Nambiar and Jason Shan

The guidance team expands with new college and career adviser Shveta Bagade.

Shveta Bagade started advising students on post-high school plans by volunteering at Prospect High School’s College and Career Department, later diving deeper into counseling by starting a private college-preparatory institution after helping her own kids get into college. Bagade brings a fresh outlook to Lynbrook’s College and Career Department with her experience living on the East Coast, offering a first-hand perspective for students who are looking into schools farther away from home .

As the new college and career adviser, Bagade is thrilled to share her passion with the students she works with by helping strengthen their college essays, find their college fit and utilize college resources.

“What’s exciting about coming to Lynbrook is that I am going to work with all kinds of kids with all kinds of wishes and needs,” Bagade said.

With three kids of her own and her own experience growing up in the United States, Bagade understands the high school journey and the many commitments it entails, ranging from extracurriculars to college applications. She aims to help students find a balance between their academic work and life outside of school and encourages each of her students to be open-minded.

After attending Drexel University in Philadelphia, Bagade worked in R&D service for 10 years but later realized she wanted to pursue a different field after guiding her kids through hi

gh school. Coupled with her love for working with teenagers, she took classes to get her certification for college consulting. 

“I’ve met a lot of amazing people and interesting students,” Bagade said. “I’m very fortunate to be part of their life for a minute in helping them with their college applications.” 

Bagade’s childhood in New Jersey nurtured a love for East Coast classics such as New York pizza and beaches. She also loves California for its  beaches and diversity. Bagade spends most of her free time with her family, from eating at new restaurants to going to the driving range with her husband. 

As the newest College and Career advisor, she hopes to take on the responsibility of steering Lynbrook students in the right direction. 

“School is not just about education; it’s about the whole experience of being at school — researching, doing internships, studying abroad, participating in school spirit and having a social life,” Bagade said.  “I want to help as many students as I can to enjoy all these aspects of school.”