Carol Fong, Chemistry Honors teacher

May 26, 2022

“I advised many incoming college employees after years in the industry,” Chemistry Honors teacher Carol Fong said. “I decided to become a teacher so I could impart some of that real world experience to the students.” 

After graduating from the University of California, Berkeley, Fong worked in the semiconductor industry before pursuing business management. She later settled down to raise her children, and later attended Stanford University to earn a master’s degree in education. At FUHSD, Fong worked with a mentor at Fremont High School, where she prepared lesson plans and taught to train for her degree with a mentor teacher before teaching Chemistry Honors at Lynbrook in 2005.

Fong savors memories from her time at Lynbrook such as performing fun chemical reaction experiments with her students, such as creating fiery hands by lighting soap bubbles. She has also enjoyed the countless corgi artworks created by her students, who know that corgis are her favorite animal. Instead of focusing only on grades, Fong has always pushed students to apply their logic and critical thinking skills to Chemistry.

“I tell every class this: if you want to take anything away, I want you to learn how to think logically,” Fong said. “That is a skill that will always be applicable in life.”