Calais+Waring

Features Section

Calais Waring

Through school events, such as Homecoming or rallies, senior Calais Waring has been in the midst of hectic planning and organization since her freshman year. In ninth grade, Waring became interested in student government following her involvement with homecoming. She joined Lynbrook’s Legislative Council, a branch of ASB that deals with clubs and budgeting, to further explore this interest. Moving into sophomore year, Waring applied for ASB and was appointed to the public relations commission. Now, in her senior year, Waring is the ASB vice president for the 2021-22 school year.

“One of the highlights of my high school life is getting into ASB and engaging with student life, being able to see how something can go from a conception to an event that students can enjoy,” Waring said.

However, being a part of ASB is not always an easy ride. During her time in the PR commission, the COVID-19 pandemic forced students to start distance learning, and ASB had to adapt accordingly.

A significant challenge was planning events that would follow COVID-19 prevention guidelines but simultaneously engage students. Waring and the ASB team tried to innovate and create virtual games, but it was difficult to find motivation, as students were not as excited about online events as they were about in-person activities.

“ASB functions are about student involvement and bringing people together, which is hard to do when everyone is suddenly not together anymore,” Waring said. 

Through ASB, Waring has learned to work collaboratively with others and adapt to change. She plans to continue developing her skills by getting involved with student life in college and meeting new people as much as she can. 

“The ASBO team and I really focused on setting a strong foundation for ASB in future years,” Waring said. “I wanted to tackle the ‘behind-the-scenes’ problems that don’t seem like a big deal but actually do leak into different areas of student life.”

the Epic • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All the Epic Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *